Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm your biggest fan

I was working at 2015 in Tulsa, OK when CoH launched. Prior to that, my only experienc with MMOs had been playing Meridian 59 pretty hardcore...enough to know that MMOs were a dangerous drug for me. I was able to avoid MMOs since. A few of my co-workers at 2015 tried to lure me into City of Heroes and I was only able to resist the temptation for a couple of months. I eventually started playing right about the time they all stopped to start playing this other MMO called World of Warcraft...which has since faded into obscurity.

To say I was hooked would be an understatement. When 2015 folded, and I began looking for work I took a job with NetDevil. I'd be lying if I didn't say that Auto Assault being an NCSoft title (meaning that one of my CoH accounts would now be comp'd) didn't have some tiny, tiny part in my decision to take that job. Yes, the studio was awesome, Auto-Assault looked like it had the potential to be a pretty cool project, there were a lot of great people there, and living in Colorado had been a dream...but in the back of my mind I was thinking "I can play as much CoH as I want...for free!". I know I drove many of the NetDevil guys with my rabid fanboisms. "In CoH, they do this. In CoH, they do that."...but in fairness, I heard just as much "In WoW, they do this..." from them. We all take inspiration from the things we enjoy.

A short time later, when the opportunity to work for Cryptic Studios on City of Heroes/City of Villains presented itself, I took the job. I moved my family to the SF Bay area in California...hundreds of miles away from family, because I finally had the chance to work on a game that I really loved to play. Prior to this, I'd always made decisions based on how I felt about the future of the company, what the benefits were, cost of living, how close it was to family. But this time, I wanted to try something different and work on a game that I really, really liked to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment